Friday, June 14, 2013

A Typical Day of Eating...

So as I'm settling into my summer routine, I've been taking some time to re-examine my eating habits to make sure that I'm making the best personal choices that I can about my nutrition.  As a disclaimer, I'm not a doctor or a nutritionist, I'm just a girl who likes to eat! 

Here's what a "normal" day of food looks like for me this summer:

Breakfast has been alternating between two different choices depending of if I'm in the mood for sweet or savory:

Option 1: a bowl of oatmeal with half of a sliced banana and a sprinkle of cinnamon.  I cook the oatmeal with water and then have a cup of 1% milk on the side.

Option 2: a small egg white omelet cooked with a small amount of cooking spray and filled with chopped veggies and a sprinkle of low fat cheese.  Sometimes with a slice of turkey bacon crumbled inside.  I'll also add a slice of whole wheat toast if I'm feeling really hungry.

Either way I'll have a mug of black coffee on the side and a big glass of water.



Morning snack is something like a piece of fruit and some protein.  For example, yesterday I had a chopped granny smith apple with a spoonful of peanut butter and today I'm eating about half a cup of red grapes with a few spoonful's of plain, low fat yogurt on top. 


Lunch also alternates between two things:

Option 1: A turkey sandwich made from a few slices of low sodium turkey with yellow mustard with veggies (lettuce, tomato, onion) on two slices of toasted whole wheat bread.

Option 2: A big salad with shredded carrot and chopped onion and some kind of protein like chopped turkey, canned tuna without mayo, or two chopped hardboiled eggs.  I add either low fat salad dressing or oil and vinegar depending on what I'm in the mood for.  I'm more likely to go this route if I had oatmeal for breakfast to make my day a little more well-rounded.


Afternoon snack is protein to help me recover from working out and to get a little energy boost for  making dinner and doing any other chores that haven't happened yet.  It's usually something like a scoop or two of low fat cottage cheese sprinkled with pepper (yum!) or a glass of 1% milk.  If I'm feeling super hungry I'll use my immersion blender to make a small protein shake, usually with milk, half of a frozen banana, a few frozen strawberries, and a scoop of vanilla protein powder.  I like smoothies, but a lot of recipes seem to make a gallon so I watch the amount of ingredients I'm using. 


Dinner is either a grilled chicken breast sprinkled with whatever spices or herbs sound good, salmon or tilapia broiled in the oven and again seasoned with whatever I'm in the mood for and sometimes sprinkled with bread crumbs for extra texture, or a lean ground turkey patty with herbs and chopped onion mixed in.  I'll have either a salad or steamed veggies (especially broccoli or green beans) on the side.  I like to spritz the warm veggies with spray margarine and sprinkle on garlic salt, or sometimes I'll toss them with a small amount of Italian dressing.  If I'm feeling very hungry I add in a cup of brown rice or a baked sweet potato. 


I rarely snack after dinner, since I always seem to wind up going overboard.  When I do indulge, I'm more of a salty snacker than a sweet snacker.  My cravings usually involve things like kettle chips, French fries, and pizza.  Every once in a long while, I'll have a mad craving for something like chocolate cake, but not often.  Usually I'm so full of healthy food that my cravings are quiet, but if I have a craving that I just can't shake I'll indulge myself and just make sure that I have a small portion of whatever goodie. 

Eating this way for a few weeks now seems to be working well for me.  My figure looks good and I like what the bathroom scale says.  I also have plenty of energy for working out and my hair, skin, and fingernails and look really healthy.  I find that watching my own body for cues is the best way to know if I need to make adjustments.  After all, everyone is unique and diets shouldn't be one size fits all!  Compared to a lot of folks, I seem to have a very slow metabolism so I'm always trying to focus on portion sizes to make sure I don't overdo it.

What works for you guys?

Stay cool!


Amy
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading what you have to say! Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

Athens Trip: Day 4- The Acropolis!

Hello again! Athens' crown jewel is really the Acropolis.  A series of temples dedicated to Athena, the patron Greek goddess of the cit...