Thursday, August 27, 2015

Throwback Thursday!

Hey guys!

Welcome to Throwback Thursday!  Today's picture is my eighth grade school picture.





This is one of my favorites from my school years.  I got to pick out the purple background and my mom actually let me pick this outfit out at Old Navy myself: baggy denim overalls and a blue knit top.  She even relented and let me wear it on picture day.  I thought I was totally cool in my 90's overalls.   I still have them in a drawer at my parents' house in Arizona.  I loved them so much that they weren't something I was willing to part with after they went out of style.   

I did my own hair for picture day.  I remember carefully poofing my bangs to the side with a butterfly clip and making the curls you see on the side of my head with a curling iron.  

I'm even wearing a little makeup in the picture, although my mom was pretty strict about wearing it at school.  I think it wasn't anything more than eye shadow and Dr. Pepper Lip Smackers- remember that stuff??  

Eighth grade was the year that I got braces, too, but I was learning to feel a little more comfortable with them in my mouth at this point.  

I'm the same age in this picture as my students from last year.  What's so strange is that they seemed a lot more grown up than I remember being at this age.  I was a spacey bookworm who still played with dolls, barely noticed boys, and loved Winnie the Pooh.  To be fair, though, I also grew up in an amazing, supportive family that was always pushing me to work hard in school and carefully monitored my friends, my activities, and what I wore.  I remember thinking that they were too hard on me, especially compared to some of my friends' parents, but they really cared and were always super involved.  Its sad to say that a lot of kids that I've worked with just don't have this kind of support at home.

What were you like in middle school?  Let me know in the comments below!

Stay stylish!

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading what you have to say! Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

Athens Trip: Day 4- The Acropolis!

Hello again! Athens' crown jewel is really the Acropolis.  A series of temples dedicated to Athena, the patron Greek goddess of the cit...