Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Grocery Haul

Hey guys!

I fit in grocery shopping a day early this week since I was met some friends on Post for lunch yesterday.  Here's what I picked up for the week and what I'm planning on making:

Produce



I bought a sweet potato, a sweet yellow onion, two zucchini, two bananas, a large bag of white potatoes, green beans, broccoli, and mixed greens.  With the exception of the bananas, all of this is headed for various dinner recipes (see below).


Dairy


For dairy products, I picked up light sour cream, light margarine, sliced Swiss cheese for the potato casserole I talked about in a previous What I Ate Wednesday, two bags of shredded cheese (one Mexican style for tacos and one mozzarella just because we were out), and two half gallons of skim milk.


Protein


I did some stocking up in the protein department this week!  Turkey bacon was on sale for $1.50 and then there was a dollar off of two coupon, meaning that I got two packages for $2.  It was already frozen, so I stuck one in the freezer and the other one is thawing in the fridge.  I also picked up a bag of Morning Star Veggie crumbles to sub in a recipe that calls for ground beef, eggs, and a four pound bag of frozen chicken breasts.  Since there are only two of us, the chicken will last for 3-4 weeks and it worked out to be about $2 a pound, which is a great deal.


Cans and Dry Goods



I got a bag of pretzels for some healthier snacking, dried sodium free chicken boullion for reconstituting for soups, Shake 'n' Bake Panko Style which had a lot less sodium than any other variety at the Commissary, garlic salt which I use all the time in cooking, a box of spice cake mix  for making pumpkin muffins with the can of pumpkin I found in the back of the pantry, buffalo sauce, Triscuits that were exactly two cents more for the family size box (I don't know, it makes no sense to me either!), black refried beans, marinara, and tomato soup.


Frozen and Misc.


I could NOT decide where to put my carton of orange juice and wound up putting in my last photo simply out of desperation.  I also have my non-protein frozen goods here: steam in the bag carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower that was only 19 cents with a coupon (!) and a bag of frozen rolls.

Here's my video of this week's Grocery Haul:



Dinner plans for the week are:

Potato Casserole made with potatoes, sour cream, onions, Swiss cheese, and turkey bacon.

Wing Salad made with mixed greens and topped with Buffalo dipped Shake 'n' Bake chicken, green bell pepper, feta, and ranch

Baked White Fish served with brown rice and steamed broccoli

Stuffed Pepper Soup made with veggie crumbles (instead of ground beef), tomato soup, green bell pepper, rice, onion, and spices

Zucchini Sticks (breaded and baked) served with pasta marinara and extra sauce for dipping

Oven "Fried" Chicken with baked sweet potato wedges and green beans

One of the real challenges of both having cold weather (it's 49 degrees outside right now!) and not being used to it is finding ways to eat comforting cold weather food that is still reasonably healthy and won't pack on the pounds.

Let me know how you think I'm doing so far in the comments below.  I LOVE hearing from you and will respond to every message.

Stay stylish!

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading what you have to say! Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

Athens Trip: Day 4- The Acropolis!

Hello again! Athens' crown jewel is really the Acropolis.  A series of temples dedicated to Athena, the patron Greek goddess of the cit...