Thursday, October 8, 2015

Grocery Haul

Hey guys!
Today was grocery shopping day.  I always try to go into the commissary with a super organized list for the week.  I find that it saves a lot of time and money if I can go once for the whole week.  Ever needed to pick up one thing and then walked out with half of the store (possibly without the one thing you went in for)?  Yeah, me too!  So I plan out a list for the week with all the ingredients for dinners, lunches, breakfasts, and things that we’ve run out of.  I do plan a specific meal for each night, but try more to have things that we both like on hand for improvisational breakfasts and lunches.  Having ingredients for healthy snacks (like fruit, almonds, and yogurt) on hand are also a great way to make sure that my snacking stays relatively healthy, too.

Here’s what I got for the next week:

Dairy




I bought light sour cream for a casserole and topping enchiladas, a block of medium cheddar cheese for enchiladas and the same casserole, shredded parmesan cheese in a shaker since we were almost out, and sliced provolone cheese for zucchini casserole. 

 I still have a little dairy milk left to finish up and then just enough nondairy milk left for the rest of the week.  After taking a week off of dairy to help combat the beginnings of a sinus infection, I was surprised by how congested I got again when I added it back in, so I’m thinking of sticking with soy and almond milk from here on out.

Protein



I bought plain frozen tilapia filets for easy dinners and Morning Star Farms Grillers crumbles for the same casserole.  I’m also using canned tuna that I already had and a few cans of beans to make sure I’m getting plenty of protein in my (mostly) meatless meals.

Produce



I bought a LOT of zucchini.  What can I say?  We both like it and it’s been delicious and cheap lately.  One is for zucchini enchiladas, two are for zucchini parmesan, and the last one is for a bean and cheese dish with sautéed zucchini that sounded good in one of my cookbooks.  I also picked up garlic, pink lady apples for snacks, bananas for oatmeal, a package of cherry tomatoes, and a cucumber.  Both the tomatoes and cucumber are for packed lunches.

Dry Goods



I got a tuna salad kit for an emergency lunch, bread, medium tomato salsa, dried potato flakes, corn chips, mac and cheese, refried beans, enchilada sauce, tomato sauce with mushrooms, and tomato soup.  Except for the tuna, the bread, and the soup, all of this is headed for assorted dinner recipes over the next week.

Treats



You know I can’t survive the week without a little treat or two!  Plus I find that having a little something on hand prevents me from rebelling and going wild with something super “bad” after too much self-deprivation.


I got a box of seasonal Sugar Plum spice herbal tea from Celestial Seasonings, dark Italian roast Keurig coffee, and Carr’s  Ginger Lemon Crème English Tea Cookies.

Check out my grocery haul video here:



What are you eating this week??

Stay stylish!

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading what you have to say! Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

Athens Trip: Day 4- The Acropolis!

Hello again! Athens' crown jewel is really the Acropolis.  A series of temples dedicated to Athena, the patron Greek goddess of the cit...