Monday, July 4, 2016

Happy Fourth of July!

Hey guys!

Happy Fourth of July to all of my fellow American readers.  For those of you from else where, Americans celebrate on the Fourth of July to commemorate the adoption of the Declaration of Independence by the Continental Congress (America's very first government) in 1776.  Among other things, the document stated that the 13 colonies considered themselves a new, independent country free of British control.  This led to the American Revolutionary War and the eventual ouster of British troops.  (Sorry guys, I doubt you need it rubbed in your face with everything going on over their right now!)



Today, the Fourth of July is celebrated with fireworks, parades, barbecues, silly shirts, and lots of red, white, and blue themed desserts.  You can see an example of what we did in the States here.  Last year was our very first Fourth in Germany, and we wound up not doing a whole lot.  For one thing, we'd just gotten back from our amazing, but exhausting, Paris trip.   We walked an average of ten miles a day over the course of almost a week!  Plus there was a genuinely awful heat wave going on.  Between the high humidity, and the lack of air conditioning, it was pretty bad even coming from Arizona.  So we stayed home and did some grilling and not much else.  This year the weather is much nicer and we are determined to hit the holiday events on Post.  I will do a future blog post about it.

I also have some exciting personal news: I got a job!  After spending the last year substitute teaching and looking for something more permanent, I'm thrilled to have been offered an Assistant Director position at one of the child care facilities on Post.  Tomorrow I have an appointment to start my pre-employment paperwork and I should find out a little more about when I can actually start working.



Hubby was so sweet and excited for me!  He brought me flowers and a nice card after work.



He also insisted on taking me out to dinner.  We went to the same Indian place he surprised me with for our anniversary.  They have a beautiful courtyard out behind the restaurant and the weather was perfect.  We split an order of samosas, and I had chicken tikka masala served with basmati rice and naan.  I also enjoyed a very nice glass of white wine.  It was really fun!

What are you doing to celebrate today?

Stay stylish!

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading what you have to say! Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

Athens Trip: Day 4- The Acropolis!

Hello again! Athens' crown jewel is really the Acropolis.  A series of temples dedicated to Athena, the patron Greek goddess of the cit...